The term Hydrotherapy is coined from the Greek words – “Hydro” meaning “water” and “Therapeia” meaning “Healing”. As it suggests, hydrotherapy is a method of using the physical aspect of water for medical and relaxing treatments. The buoyancy of water effect minimizes the efforts of gravity on weight bearing joints, spinal column and ligaments. The entire therapy improves balance and co-ordination.
The benefits of “water healing” or hydrotherapy have been recognized for thousands of years. It is one of the oldest and safest methods for treating many common ailments.
Hydrotherapy has been greatly emphasized as a mode of healing program in our Indian Civilization.
How it works…
Water has an effect similar to a soothing massage on muscles by bringing more oxygen to the injured area. Movements that are extremely painful outside water, can be conducted in water with minimum pain. Running, walking and floating in water have been found to be more beneficial than most other activities.
Hydrotherapy at Indian Spinal Injuries Centre
ISIC, South Asia’s most advanced specialty hospital boasts of the largest and the best Hydrotherapy Department in the whole of Asia.
- To relieve pain Mobilize joints
- Promote relaxation
- Increase range motion
- Strengthen muscles & enhance co-ordination and balance
Conditions Treated with Hydrotherapy Include
- Neck pain
- Head injuries
- Spinal Injuries
- Rheumatic Arthritis
- Post-operative orthopedics
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Sports Injuries
- Pre and post-natal exercises.
- The water temperature in the pool is maintained at 28-30 degrees centigrade.
- The air temperature is adjustable to 28 degrees centigrade.
- The water is tested in the laboratory every day to make sure that there is no infection.
- The 24 hrs filtration and heating plant is installed by a world renowned German company to clean the water.
- Well qualified and dedicated staff.
- Personal attention is given to each patient.
- Hydrotherapy can treat cases that are traditionally impossible.
- Treats impairments like pain, decreased strength and stiffness.
- Offers treatment of disabilities like change of position, holding a posture and walking.
- Automatically improves cardiovascular and respiratory functions.
- Positively influences overall as well as local metabolism. This reduces arousal, pain and stiffness.
- It can easily be adapted to patient’s specific needs and can simply be applied in a progressive way from a non-weight bearing to a full weight bearing programme.
- It offers the possibility to handle even the heaviest patients with great ease.
- The patient remains warm throughout the session.
- The physiotherapist can observe the entire body and therefore keep a check on body alignment etc.
Instructions to Patients
- Please remove your footwear.
- Bring your own costumes, swimming cap.
- Patient’s attendants are not allowed in the hydrotherapy area.
- Take a shower before and after every hydrotherapy session.
- Duration of each session is half an hour.
- Do not use cotton earplugs.
- Patient should be ruled out for any skin infection, urinary infection and wounds.
- Do not come empty stomach.
- Drink water before and after every hydrotherapy session.
- Switch off your mobile phones before entering the pool area.
- Take care of your belongings (wrist watch, jewellery, mobiles etc.). Hospital will not be responsible for the loss of personal belongs.